Swaner Online Learning and Community Engagement
Swaner Preserve, like all wild spaces, is often a place of solace when life feels
challenging and we're seeking comfort.
Now, we've created SOLACE, an online resource for youth, adults, and families to keep learning about nature and the environment during this time of social distancing and transition. We've put together some of our own lessons and activities, and also gathered some of our favorite online resources so you can find them all in one place. Happy learning!
Ready to go!
Ready to go!
Ready to go!
Each themed activity guide includes a weekly challenge, a Kahoot quiz, a recorded story time, and 3 to 5 activities for your child to complete. These activities can be completed throughout the week, or all completed in one day, depending on your schedule and child’s interest. Please note most of these activities require adult preparation or assistance, so be sure to read through the materials and instructions in advance. These activities will be released on a weekly basis. Happy exploring!
Did you access any of the above activity guides? Please take a second give us some feedback about your experience. It should take no more than 2 minutes, and will help us to continue better serving your family during this time of social distancing and at-home learning.
Check out the Swaner team's favorite resources below to keep your nature brain engaged and excited during this time of social distancing. Swaner will also continue to offer our Walks, Talks, and Workshops program virtually. To view upcoming events and to register, please visit to our calendar page.
- Follow us on FaceBook or Instagram to stay up to date on and interact with all things Swaner.
- Here are a few of the Swaner Team's favorite groups to follow on social media.
Watch some of the Swaner Team's favorite films. Swaner will also be hosting virtual film screenings. Go to our calendar page to see and register for these events.
- Chasing Coral Watch the trailer
- Night on Earth Watch the trailer
- Dancing with the Birds Watch the trailer
- Birders Watch the trailer
Check out some of the Swaner Team's favorite articles and blogs.
- How Beavers Make The Desert Bloom
- How Climate Change is Redesigning Canyonlands National Park
- As COVID-19 spreads, how do you ethically get outdoors?- Craig Childs
- How to Responsibly Recreate Outside - Leave No Trace
- Alliance on Climate Education
- Cable Museum Natural Connections
- Cabinet of Curiosities
Keep your ears busy with some of our favorite nature focused podcast episodes.
Books we love! ❤
- Eager by Ben Goldfarb (Swaner book club rescheduled- stay tuned!)
- American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee
- The Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs
- Deep Creek by Pam Houston
- Seasons by Ellen Meloy
- Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams
- The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko
- Basin and Range by John McPhee
- Plastic Purge by Michael SanClements
- The Nature Principle by Richard Louv
- The Humane Gardener by Nancy Lawson